The European Commission Publishes Consultation on the Review of the AIFMD
Published 27 October 2020
On 22 October 2020, the European Commission published its consultation on the review of the AIFMD seeking the views from stakeholders on how to achieve a more effective and efficient functioning of the European AIF market.
The consultation is a follow-up on the European Commission’s report to the European Parliament and the Council on the scope and the application of the AIFMD.
The consultation covers a wide range of areas, including questions related to:
- the functioning of the AIFMD regulatory framework, scope and authorization requirements
- investor protection, covering issues such as investor classification, adequacy of disclosure requirements, the depositary regime and potential improvements to the AIFMD rules on valuation
- international relations and how best to achieve equitable treatment of non-EU AIFs while at the same time ensuring that EU AIFMs are not exposed to unfair competition
- financial stability and how to ensure that national competent authorities and AIFMs have the tools necessary to effectively mitigate systemic risks
- potential enhancement of the rules on investment in private companies
- how the alternative investment sector can participate effectively in the areas of responsible investing
- the treatment of UCITS
What’s next: The public consultation is open until 29 January 2021 and can be assessed here.